PDA in Youth Work
PDA in Youth Work
What is it about?
For those who are starting to get involved in Youth Work or to hone their skills, the PDA in Youth Work provides a foundation. This programme aims to assist students to understand and explore youth work, engage with young people and to deliver youth work sessions.
The PDA in Youth Work is a SCQF level 6 course and covers the knowledge and skills that are needed to identify the needs of young people, deliver appropriate youth work sessions, and to understand the broader field of youth work.
Why study this programme?
The award has been designed for those who provide support, advice and guidance for young people, and who, through this work, help to develop the knowledge and skills of young people.
• Builds theological understanding. The programme draws on examples from church-based youth work and draws on connections with Christian theology and belief.
• Varied learning methods. This qualification has been designed to be delivered as a taught course and will normally be available as a combination of workshops and self-directed study.
Features of the course
• Particularly useful for those who are wanting to serve in churches, Christian organisations or the wider community.
• Small group work, study skills support and individual tutorials.
• Teaching staff actively engaged in youth and community practice, research and development nationally and internationally.
• Positive commitment to equality and the development of good practice in diverse contexts.
Most students carry out a placement in their own church or an organisation in their local community such as a youth centre or community centre. For those students who are not already involved somewhere that could be a suitable placement, then we will support the student in finding somewhere suitable. Placements may include youth centres, community centres and projects, to innovative work with schools and colleges, streetwork with marginalised young people and creative arts-based projects, such as youth theatre, street art, dance and music schemes.
Next point of Entry: September 2018
Length 1 year part-time (evenings or Saturdays)
Location Various across Scotland