Changing Church in Scotland
What is it about?
Most of us involved in church leadership in Scotland know that we cannot continue to do 'business as usual' but the prospect of managing change in our churches can feel like changing the wheels on the bus while the bus is still moving.
Forge Scotland, in partnership with the Scottish School of Christian Mission, has developed the Future Travellers programme to support church leaders through this process of change, from a settled/gathered mode to one which is more missional and incarnational.
Why study this programme?
- Get equipped with resources and coaching to enable churches to create a culture that supports the goals of each church.
- Introduction to key ideas and practices needed to lead a church to be more dynamically missional;
- Our experienced team includes Richard Tiplady (Director of Mixed Mode Training at The Scottish Episcopal Institute), Alan McWilliam (Director of Forge Scotland), Judy White (former Mission Development Coordinator at the Baptist Union of Scotland), and Wes White (Lecturer at the Scottish School of Christian Mission and former leader with Mosaic Christian Community, Glasgow), who are all practitioners in their fields.
Features of the course
Ideally for a church leadership team, the course is delivered over 3 or 4 weekends per year over two years. Participants from each church will work together to plan and pray about the changes they want to lead in their congregation.
- In the first year, you will be introduced to the key ideas and practices needed to take a church from settled to dynamically missional. It is about a change of mind, a change in way we look at the world, the church, and God's mission. But it is not just about ideas. We are convinced that one of the keys to success is to journey with fellow travellers along the way.
- In the second year, an experienced practitioner will work with you as a coach and mentor. Alongside the 4 weekends, they will meet with you in person or online to support you in the process of change
The course is designed for you to work and reflect on your current situation to bring about change
Academic Validation and Professional Recognition
Next point of entry September 2018
Length: 3 or 4 weekends per year over two years, plus coaching
Location: various venues throughout Scotland